The Mission of St. Augustine School is to nourish our children’s spiritual and academic growth within small, individualized, classroom and group settings. Through the commitment and dedication of our professional teachers and staff, we provide parents with a realistic and stimulating alternative to public education for their children from early childhood through grade six. Curriculum mastery and character building become one where learning, faith, and service are fostered with single-minded purpose, dedication, and good example. We strive daily to demonstrate love for God and neighbor, teaching Catholic family values and respect for each person in these most challenging times.
- Superior Programs for our Children Since 1869!!!
- Programs: Nursery (age 3) through Grade 6-Solid Curriculum Throughout
- Catholic Teachings & Values
- Art, Music, P.E., Information Technology Class, Spanish, for all classes K - 6
- Full Day Pre-Kindergarten, Full Day Kindergarten
- Small Classes, special needs of all children addressed
- Experience, caring teachers
- Full Gym/ Spring Swimming part of our P.E. Program
- Federal Lunch/Breakfast Program
- Before School & Aftercare Programs 7:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. - Available for all students
- Year Round Nursery School for 3 & 4 year olds - Closed only for legal holidays (Even open on "Snow Days"!)
- Active Parent Association
The site the school presently sits on was originally occupied by St. John the Baptist Church, the predecessor of St. Augustine’s Church. St. John’s served the Catholic community from 1842 until 1864 when St. Augustine’s Church was completed. The Augustinian Fathers came to Lansingburgh at that time led by the Very Reverend Patrick Moriarity, OSA, Commissary General or Superior of all Augustinians in the United States. He stayed for six months, and then assigned Rev. Mark Crane, OSA as Pastor. When the new church was completed in 1864, the old St. John’s was converted into a school and parish hall. While it is probable that classes were conducted in the building immediately thereafter, Augustinian Provincial records indicate the first formal classes were held in September of 1869. In August of that year, Rev. Thomas Galberry, OSA the pastor at the time, requested the Superior General of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet at St. Louis, Missouri, to dispatch nuns to Lansingburgh to assume charge of the school. Five nuns were sent. The Sisters of St. Joseph continued to offer their spiritual and educational guidance until very recently. During the pastorate of Rev. John T. Emmett, OSA, plans were made to erect a new school on the corner of 114th Street and Fourth Avenue. While the present building was being built, students attended classes in a structure on the corner of 3rd Avenue and 115th Street. The new school was said to have been completed for less than 40,000 dollars. The cornerstone was laid in November of 1899 with Sebastian Cardinal Martinelli, OSA, Papal delegate to the United States officiating. St. Augustine’s Academy was chartered by New York States Regents on July 1st, 1901.
The Academy continued to serve both as a high school and a grade school until 1923 when Catholic Central High School was created. It continued to offer grades seven and eight until 1989. At that time all Troy Diocesan schools were directed to close their seventh and eighth grades and offer Catholic Central High as the alternative.